Friday 9 December 2011

Fresh Eyre


©Focus Features
Finally, the newest adaptation of Jane Eyre arrived in our cinemas. Compared to the English audience, we had to wait until Christmas time to see Michael Fassbender and Mia Wasikowska’s take on the governess and the brooding master of Thornfield Hall. Full of anticipation I purchased a ticket at the box office, only to be somewhat disappointed in the next 120 minutes. 

While the movie was beautifully picturesque in terms of photography and location choice and Fassbender delivered a rather authentic Mr. Rochester, I felt that Mia Wasikowska’s Jane fell flat. I missed the moments when Jane’s essentially passionate nature breaks through her reserve which Ruth Wilson captured so much more vividly in her portrayal of Jane Eyre in the 2006 BBC miniseries. Nevertheless, for a movie adaptation of the material it was very well done, even though in the end the book will always win out for me. I just adore Charlotte Brontë’s beautifully descriptive way of writing. 

What else is new? I sent out my first query this week! I finally hit upon a version of my query letter that I could live with and didn’t waste any time in sending my first query out. I am really excited. This is a huge step for me. I am nearly thankful that it is probably going to take up to two months before I hear back. That gives me enough time to enjoy Christmas with my family. Of course, I will try to send out a few more e-mail packages before the end of the year. Slacking is not an option. However, first, I will board my first night train tonight to enjoy a weekend in Dresden with my family. I’ve never been there before…I can’t wait! I’m ready to catch some fresh air while doing some sightseeing.

P.S.: I will probably post my query letter next week for all of you who are interested in what they usually contain. We’ll see in the next months, if it is formulated in the right way to attract agents. Keep your fingers crossed for me and enjoy your weekend!

No comments :

Post a Comment